Monday 10 February 2014

Happy Mondays.

Monday mornings are always one of those things I dread, like my summer cold or running out of tea bags when only a cuppa will fix everything. Well this Monday I'm taking a stand an listing ten things that are making me happy today, just to remind myself that Monday's aren't so bad after all. Now I'm not the biggest fan of the new Radio 1 breakfast presenter but he does have the right idea of having half of hour of happy tunes that he plays to cheer the nation up on a Monday morning. I urge you all to listen to happy music, mentally list ten things that make you happy or just sit there and smile with a cup of tea. Anything you can to make this Monday and happy one.

1) My morning cuppa - This little cup of basic joy gets me up and ready for the day of head. I've genuinely got to the stage where I don't think I could function without my 10 o'clock cup of tea.


2) Roll to Me by Del Amtri - For as long as I can remember this has been my happy song. I'm not sure if it is my favourite song but it does something magical to my mood whenever I listen to it. If I'm glum or in a funk I just put this song on and an instant smile come to my face. I don't know how you do it but thank you song. 



3)Bali - I know I have blogged about this being my happy place before but the idea of it does get me through the working day. I know if I don't work I can't go and you have no idea how much more willing I am to file when there is sun, sea, sand and beer waiting me for in August. Hang on Bali we're a comin'.


4) Pugs - I don't know what it is about Pugs but I just love them. I have discussed this at length with my bestie and we have come to the conclusion that, we love them because they are so ugly that no one else will. I'm not ashamed to admit that I have a pug as my phone background for the pure reason that whenever I look at my phone I'm happy, whether I've got any texts or not. 


5) Quiz night - My favourite thing about a Monday is definitely the evening quiz. Don't get my wrong the quiz itself is bloody hard and sometime not that enjoyable, but what I love is having a set date in my diary with some of my favourite people in one of my favourite places. Long live the quiz night! 


I have to say thinking of ten genuine things that are making me happy today are proving harder than I thought, nevertheless I've managed to think of a few more...

6) Why Men Love Bitches - Don't be put off by the title, this book was recommended to me by my old university house-mate, she is in my opinion the queen of dating! Well she was certainly not wrong about this book, as long as you take some of it with a pinch of salt, this book has such a health and refreshing way of looking at yourself, telling us to be a dream girl not a doormat. This is a book I recommend for anyone who is single or in a new relationship or quite frankly if you just want a good laugh. 


7) All to Well by Taylor Swift - Now I never considered myself to be a massive Taylor Swift fan and actually only went along to her gig to keep one of my best friends company in the spirit of PIBE it, but was surprised how much I loved it. Her music has been stuck in my head ever since I saw her and this one song in particular has really stuck with me. When this song came on during the concert to my surprised I found myself crying ,this song struck nerve and reminded me so much of my last break-up. However, the more I listen to it the more I found it empowering. So thank you Taylor, I found my new single song that says everything I've always want to say. 




8) The Mindy Project - I've very excited because the first series of The Mindy Project should be arriving on my door step today. I know this show isn't for everyone but I watched it for the first time the other day and loved it. I felt like I was looking at myself in 8 years times, her outlook on like and opinions on thing such a weight and dating were so similar to mine. I look forward to my first evening in with Mindy tomorrow.


9) Teaching - This summer has given me time to think about what I really want to do and after going through and 25 "career plans" in my life I really think I've found one that suits me. If you had told me during my undergrad degree that I was applying to be a Religious Studies teacher, I would of laughed in your face. Though after spending three weeks in school and having immersing myself in the application process I can't wait to start (providing I get in). I have my first interview this week so I have my fingers crossed that a university will take me *cough* Exeter *cough* and we can finally get the ball rolling, to let my in hippy teacher out. 


And the final one....

10) How far I've come - It literally surprises me every day how far I've come. They are not wrong about rock bottom the only way is up. I am so grateful that I now have a job I (quite) like, time to see my friends whenever I want, big plans to travel and see the world and someone new in my life. It is amazing how you only need six months to turn everything around. Sure, I do dwell on the past now and then but the more I do the more I think of it fondly and a steps who have made me who I am today. The girl trying to embrace that dreaded Monday morning feeling with a smile. 



Happy Monday Everyone!


Lauren 





1 comment: