Wednesday 16 April 2014

The South West

I always love it when you get to catch up with friends you haven't seen in ages. Firstly because you always have so much to talk about no matter how much you talk between visits and secondly it gives you an excuse to do things you wouldn't normally do.

The weekend just gone was the perfect example of this, one of my best friends Anna was down from Scotland so it was our duty to cram in as many Devonian/Cornish things as possible. 



For us this meant a trip down to St Ives, cream tea and no trip down to Plymouth would be complete without seeing one of our favourite bands, Mad Dog Mcrea.

St Ives is one of my favourite places in the world and I've always said if I win the lottery I will buy a house there...a girl can dream. Property dreams aside, St Ives is one of those places where it never seems to rain, the sun is always shining and  the sea always look so inviting (beware it's freezing). 

One day this will be the view from my bedroom window....
It's just such a picturesque town with loads of lovely shops to potter round and a wide choice of cafes to take refuge in and have a cheeky cream tea.


I don't know what it is about cream tea, it's not something I would ever normally have but something about being in Cornwall makes me want to shove a cream and jam covered scone in my face. 


One we were stuff full with Cream tea and cider (an odd combination I know) we sat on one of St Ives many beaches and tried to get some colour on our very pale faces. No luck yet. 

After a lovely day down in Cornwall, we decided to have a break on Saturday before our evenings activity. Whenever Anna comes down we try and see Mad Dog Mcrea. Not only are they one of our favourite bands but she took me to my first Mad Dog gig when I was 16, I've been as least twice a year ever since. 

I don't know what it is about them, possibly it's all the jigging and the cider or the fact that I know I will always have a good time. Whatever it is, I love them. 



On Saturday they were playing at the donkey's sanctuary in Ivybridge. I was a little dubious about the venue but I was so wrong. It was the most Devonian night I've ever had, I jigged in a barn, dancing on a hay bail, fell off a hay bail and drank cider under the stars. It was amazing.

If you are ever in the South West I recommend you go and see them but wear comfy shoes because you'll be jigging the night away. I've posted a link to their website below the video, which contains all their gig info.

Pretty much sums up my night. 

Oh South West how I love you!





No comments:

Post a Comment